Sunday, October 03, 2004

First Hand Account WTC

TAKEN FROM: http://alumni.binghamton.edu/enews/sept/main.htm

More Orange!


Posted by Glennis Lynch '89 (mailto:Glennis.Lynch@ppnyc.org) on September 17, 2001 at 5:27 PM:

I was enroute to work after dropping off my girls at school. I realized that people on the bus were conversing. I thought something terrible must have happened since the last time I saw strangers conversing in such a manner was after the Susan Smith incident. After getting of the bus I saw people looking towards the sky. I coudn't see the WTC but I could see the orange sparks in the sky from downtown Brooklyn. It was then that I heard the airplane crashed into the WTC. At that point I thought perhaps it was a small plane that had lost control. Oddly, I arrived at work 45 minutes earlier that usual. I along with a few of my co-workers watched TV to get a full picture of what had happened. We watched sadly as the first building collapsed. We went onto the room of the building to see firsthand the 2nd building on fire and to take pictures. After returning to the floor I was horrified to find out that the second WTC building had also collapsed.

People were everywhere and walking in every direction possible near Broadway and Houston. I along with thousands of people, young as well as old, walked in the shadow of the black dust across the Manhattan bridge to Brooklyn. I saw people with white chalk dust all over their bodies and cloths.

Although there were thousands of people walking over the bridge there weren't too many conversations occuring. I'll probable remember most the blank expression on the faces of the people that I saw. It occurred to me that if the City was being attacked that the Manhattan bridge is an open target. However the desire to see my girls far exceeded any fear or exposure to harm or danger.

Sept. 11, 2001 started off as a warm, bright and beautiful day. I [will] never forget how it ended!

My prayers go out to family, friends and loved ones of individuals who are yet to be found in the rubble. I also ask for God's strength and blessings for all those involved in the rescue effort. May God bless the United States of America in this trying time. Thank You. Glennis Lynch

*****************

No comments: